Did This Waitress Have the Worst First Day on the Job Ever?

worst first day on the job

Starting a new job is a nerve-wracking experience. You don’t know what to do or where to go, and there are so many new people to meet. But for one unlucky waitress, the usual new-job jitters turned into a catastrophe. Find out the simple mistake she made to have the worst first day on the job ever!

The Saga Begins

As shared on reddit by an anonymous poster—who no doubt is still embarrassed about what she did—the story starts simply enough. On her first day as a waitress at a family restaurant, her training seemed to be going well enough.

“I walk in, and my trainer goes through the whole routine,” she posted. Then her trainer and the other employee on duty at the front of the house get called back to the kitchen. That’s when things started to go wrong.

Idle Hands

Our heroine is left alone at the front desk while her new colleagues deal with the kitchen issue. “Minutes pass,” she writes, “and I get tired of gazing around so I start touching things on the desk. An extra clicky pen. A clipboard. Crayons.”

Okay, nothing too scary there. The worst she could do is accidentally get her finger stuck in the clipboard, right?

“Then, my hand rests on a large button nested in a clump of wire, just laying on the desk.”

If you’re hearing ominous music right now, then get ready for what happens next.

Never Press an Unknown Button

When confronted with an unfamiliar, unlabeled button, there are two types of people in this world. One group will leave it alone. And the other will keep pressing it until something interesting happens. Guess which group the waitress belongs to?

“I examine it, and apparently some primal monkey part of my brain thinks that it’s suitable for clicking, so I start clicking it. I just stand there for about two minutes, clicking the button nonstop.”

When her trainer comes back, she pretended not to have noticed the mysterious button and carried on with her training.

Oh, the Embarrassment!

A few minutes later, the poster thought she heard sirens. And then police showed up…lots and lots of police. Officers surrounded the restaurant, convinced that something seriously terrible was happening inside. And why did they think that?

Because that was the “call 911” button…and the waitress pressed it 348 times.